OGX Organix Sunkissed Blonde Lemon Highlights Shampoo, Conditioner and Citrus Oil Mist Review

My natural hair color is a boring mousy shade so I have been dying my hair since high school.  I've been platinum to black and every shade in between.  When I was pregnant last year, I went medium brown because I didn't want the maintenance of blonde.  After my son was born with platinum blonde hair, I felt like being blonde again to match him.  But as all blondes know, buildup can seriously dull your color.  I've been using John Frieda's Go Blonder Shampoo and Conditioner for years and it really keeps my hair bright, while subtly lightening over time.

I saw that OGX (formerly Organix) had recently launched a line of Sunkissed Blonde products, and picked them up at Walgreens.  I purchased the whole line...Shampoo, Conditioner, and Citrus Oil Mist ($5.99 each).

Here's what they're supposed to do: 

The shampoo is sulfate free, but it creates a nice thick lather.  The conditioner is medium weight and both smell amazing!  When I first sniffed them in the bottle, I wasn't crazy about the scent, but when I used them on my hair, I realized that they smell wonderful- like a tropical beach...or maybe a Pina Colada.  I'm glad that they don't smell like lemon, which is what I thought from the packaging because I'm not crazy about lemon scents...they always smell like cleaning products to me.

Here are the ingredients: 
Shampoo- Water , Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , PPG-2 Hydroxyethyl Coco , Isostearamide , Glycol Distearate , glyceryl Stearate , Citrus Limon Fruit Oil (Lemon) , Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut) , Citrus Limon Fruit Extract (Lemon) , Leaf Extract , Chamomilla Recutita Flower , Citrus Aurantifolia Fruit Extract (Key Lime) , Vitis Vinifera Leaf Extract (Grape) , Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract , Lactic Acid , Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine , Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate , Coco-Betaine , Polyquaternium-10 , PEG-23M , glycerin , sodium chloride , Tetrasodium Edta , propylene glycol , Diazolidinyl Urea , Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate , Citric Acid , fragrance , Yellow 5 (Cl 19140)
Contitioner- Water , Cetearyl alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , Cetyl Alcohol , glycerin , Ceteareth-20 , Citrus Limon Fruit Oil (Lemon) , Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut) , Citrus Limon Fruit Extract (Lemon) , Leaf Extract , Chamomilla Recutita Flower , Citrus Aurantifolia Fruit Extract (Key Lime) , Vitis Vinifera Leaf Extract (Grape) , Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract , LActic Acid , Glycol Distearate , Glycol Stearate , dimethicone , CyclopentaSiloxane , dimethiconol , Polyquaternium-37 , Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate , Dicaprate , PPG-1 Trideceth-6 , Isopropyl Alcohol , propylene glycol , DMDM HYDANTOIN , methylchloroisothiazolinone , methylisothiazolinone , fragrance , Yellow 5 (Cl 19140)

The Lemon Oils and Chamomile are what lighten and brighten the hair, but keep in mind that it is gradual- these don't contain peroxide or anything that will give immediate results.  I doubt they are strong enough to lift brown hair.  

The Citrus Oil Mist also contains the lemon oil, and I use this on damp hair, figuring that the heat from the blow dryer might help the lemon oil along a little bit. you can also use this on dry hair as an anti-frizz mist. It has coconut oil to smooth and add shine, and has the same scent as the shampoo and conditioner, so my hair smells delicious after using this.  This feels very lightweight, like a dry oil, so I didn't have issues with this weighing my hair down at all. 


\
I haven't used this line long enough to know if it lightens my hair, but so far it has definitely kept my blonde from looking dull.  My only complaint about this line is that it's not overly moisturizing so if your hair is super parched like mine, it may not be enough moisture for you.  My hair was left feeling a little bit dry and I had to add a moisturizing product in afterwards.  But then again, my hair is dryer than average.  Compared to the John Frieda Go Blonder line, I would say that I like the scent of this better, and it brightens using the same ingredients.  The OGX Lemon Highlights is also cheaper than John Frieda, which are about $8-$9 each, but the John Frieda Go Blonder line is a little more moisturizing.  
All in all, I like the Lemon Highlights line!  Any blondes out there...would you use this?





3 comments

  1. I absolutely love it. I have the lemon shampoo, but use it with the kukui oil conditioner. I use the mists from both lines and it makes my hair so light and shiny. Absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a natural dark brown head but I won't to go light blond think it will help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how long did it take to work

      Delete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig