Algenist Reveal Color Correcting Primer & Concealer Review

When it comes to skincare, Algenist is one of my favorite brands. I've been using their Retinol Firming and Lifting Serum and the Advanced Anti-Aging Repairing Oil and they've made a big difference in the way my skin has aged. You can't always tell how well a product is working while you're using them, but then I'll look back at photos of myself from five years ago and I feel like my skin looks better now at 38 years old than it did at 33! That's proof enough for me. 

So being such a huge Algenist fan, I was really excited I was when QVC contacted me and asked if they could send me a few products from Algenist's brand new color line, Reveal to try. This line launched on QVC recently and uses naturally occurring colorful algae to color correct your skin. The line includes color-correcting drops and a serum foundation as well as a 6-in-1 Color Correcting Concealer and Color Correcting Radiant Primer which I'll be reviewing for you today. Let's take a look! 


Algenist Reveal Color Correcting Radiant Primer ($36) is a tinted primer that contains multicolored algae to even out the look of your skin, plus microalgae oil and alguronic acid (which are in Algenist's skincare products) so it's really your primer, color corrector, and skincare all in one! 
To give you a good idea of what this looks like with the color-correcting algae in it, I put a drop on white paper and swirled it around. On the left, you can see all of the different colors throughout the primer and on the right I continued to blend it a bit more and it starts to blend together into a light tint. They disappear all together once it's fully blended. 
There are four different color correcting pigments in the Reveal line and in this primer, they all work together to correct dullness, redness, sallow complexions and darkness/discolorations.

  • Pink: helps cover the appearance of dull-looking skin
  • Green: helps cover the appearance of redness
  • Blue: helps cover the appearance of sallow skin
  • Apricot: helps cover the appearance of dark, discolored skin
Unlike heavy silicone primers, this one feels lighter and more creamy, like a regular moisturizer. On my skin, it starts out white and the color correcting pigments blend together to give a beautiful tint that warms up my skintone, evens it out, and adds a radiant glow.

Also, because this contains the alguronic acid and microalgae oil that Algenist skincare is famous for, this primer doubles as an anti-aging serum. In clinical studies, women noticed more even skin tone and brighter skin in just ten days after using only this primer. So it's actually working on improving the look of your skin on the inside while it's cosmetically correcting it on the outside. Also, you might think that $36 is expensive for a primer, but when you consider that it's also an Algenist anti-aging treatment, it's actually a bargain...especially compared to the cost of an Algenist moisturizer or serum on it's own.
It dries to a beautiful matte finish and perfectly preps my skin for makeup. I find that I need less foundation when I use this and it goes on so much smoother, plus the primer feels like it's hydrating my skin at the same time. It doesn't have that suffocating feel that silicone primers do, so if you're looking for something lighter, this is a great option!
Algenist Reveal 6-in-1 Color Correcting Concealer ($25.75) is a high-coverage concealer that covers just about any imperfection you can imagine, while color correcting at the same time. 

When I first tried this, I used it under my eyes because other than minor dark circles, I don't have any spots to cover. While it brightened my eye area and covered every trace of darkness, it felt very thick and left a bit of a cakey appearance. I assumed that my dry skin was to blame because a lot of concealers tend to look cakey on me for that reason. Then, I noticed on the QVC website, the description actually says that this isn't recommended for the under eye-area so that makes a lot more sense. I can see this being used mainly as a spot treatment for marks on your face or body and it will cover absolutely everything. It's like an industrial strength formula! I don't have tattoos but I feel like this would even cover those as well. I like to warm it up on the back of my hand first (you only need a tiny dot) and then pat it onto my skin. If you have dark spots from hyperpigmentation, acne scars or blemishes, this will make them disappear. 

Algenist Reveal 6-in-1 Concealer in Light
Overall, I'm really impressed by the new Reveal line from Algenist! The primer does it all between prepping your skin for makeup, hydrating, color correcting and treating the signs of aging...it's my new favorite formula. I'm a little bummed that I can't use the concealer under my eyes, especially since I don't have anything else to conceal. But I'll keep it on hand for when the occasional blemish rears it's head. Those with oilier skin types may be able to use it under their eyes without a problem, but if you have dry skin like me, you'll probably want to keep it away from that area (I tested it on other parts of my face and it was fine).
You may also want to try the new Reveal Serum Foundation and Color Correcting Drops! I saw a presentation on them the other day and they look fabulous.
You can shop the entire Algenist Reveal line at QVC.com.

*Thank you so much to QVC for sending these products for review. All opinions are my own and I was not paid to write this post.*

3 comments

  1. Wow! I keep hearing good things about Algenist from a friend who works at Sephora and swears by the line. I like the fact that the primer has skincare benefits too and it seems like a good way to try it without paying $60+ on their serums and moisturizers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need that primer! I detest those heavy silicone-y concoctions and much prefer the kind that feel more like a cream. The color correction puts it over the top for me. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig